Thursday, January 7, 2010

I Hope You Dance

As I did my first 4 mile this walk this morning, on this, my first day of training, the wind cut through me like a knife, yet, somehow left me feeling refreshed and ready to take on whatever comes my way. Everything is still covered in snow, so clean, and pure. So fitting for the beginning of a new year, that is already slated to bring such change, and hope, to my family.

As I walk, I think of my mother, who is a 14 year breast cancer survivor. In 1996, when she was diagnosed, she was pissed off at the world. My mother-in-law, who we lost last May, after a close to 30 year battle with cancer (which started in her breasts), was noted to an "angry" woman as well. She never talked about here cancer. It was if she thought if she didn't talk about it, it wasn't there. As I've read, this seems to be a fairly common response to a new diagnosis. I understand.

Fourteen years later, my mother is cancer free, and has been for 12 years. Yet, she still behaves like she's pissed at the world. This saddens me. I so wish I could talk her into participating in an event like the 3-Day, as I really do think it would be life changing for her.

I look at other women that I know, who are breast cancer survivors, and have such wonderfully positive attitudes. They embrace life and live each and every moment like it's the last (meaning, they don't take one moment for granted), and they do it through smiles that could light up our entire country. I have personally been touched by so many of these women through my volunteer work with the American Cancer Society. I look at these women with such awe and admiration, and only hope that should I ever face the demon these women have faced, that I could be just 1/2 of the women that they are.

I walk for you Mom! In the hopes, that one day, you will let go of whatever it is that you are so mad at, and that you will instead, see that God has blessed you at another chance in life. You have been given the opportunity to enjoy every moment, like it's your last. You have been given the opportunity to educate other women on how important it is to be screened, and more importantly, to know you body well enough to "know" when something's wrong, even when the doctors want to minimize it.

When I got married, you gave me a CD with the song "I Hope You Dance" on it.....it's your turn to dance mother. Until you are ready to do so, I will dance for you, and for all of you women out there who have battled cancer, I dance for you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment