Friday, June 11, 2010

Facing Fear Head On

I can't believe it's been almost 3 months since I posted anything here. It's not to say, there hasn't been a lot going on.

After my last mammogram this past winter, when I was told, yet again, to come back in 6 months to have the 7 "suspicious spots" in my breasts checked, I decided I couldn't play sitting duck anymore. For 3 years, I have been going for mammograms every 6 months for them to monitor the calcifications in my breasts that were initially spotted 10 years ago, when I went for my base line. Every 6 months, when it's getting time to go for my mammo, I go for a psychological trip that has proven to be torturous, and it takes its toll on my family. I'm always fearful that the day is coming that they tell me "You have breast cancer." Over the last few years, there has been much talk about genetic markers for breast cancer, and I decided it was time to investigate.

BRCA 1 & 2 are breast cancer susceptibility genes. If you have one of these genes, the risk of your developing breast or ovarian cancer increases exponentially. According to the National Cancer Institute web site, if you DO NOT have either one of these genes, your risk of getting breast cancer in your lifetime is about 12%. If you have one of these genes, your risk goes up to 60%, and that you will likely develop it before the age of 50. Not odds I'm willing to dance with any more.

Indicators that you may have one of these genes include a family history of breast cancer diagnosis before the age of 50. My mother was diagnosed at 42. I've been "on watch" since the age of 30. I also have a grandmother who died in her 30's, with advanced breast cancer, my other grandmother died of colon cancer, but also had breast cancer, and aunt who had ovarian cancer. Needless to say, I'm a candidate for this gene mutation. So, what to do with this information?

After much debate with my husband and mother, neither of which agree with my decision, I decided to be tested for the BRCA 1 & 2. If a marker is identified, I intend to have a bilateral mastectomy. Having the mastectomy decreases my odds of getting breast cancer by 96%. Seems like a no brainer to me. I am done having children, and really don't need them anymore, and since they prove to be such a nuisance every 6 months, why not? There are a few things that I am concerned about, like insurance back lash in the future. While, currently, the testing and results are protected under the HIPPA privacy act, it's not to say this will always be the case, especially with the turn our government has taken in health care. However, after weighing out the risks, hands down, it was still the answer for me. I have 2 little ones that I need to be around for, and I'd rather be proactive in dealing with the potential of breast cancer, than to sit and wait for it to "get me". The genetic information resulting from this test will also be important to my children, who will later have children of their own. If I carry this gene, they may too. Since they are boys, the risk of breast cancer to them in minimal. However, if they have children, and happen to have little girls, it's an entirely different ball game. Better to know!

On Wednesday of this week, I had my blood drawn for the testing, and it was over nighted to Myriad (the company that does the testing). I am told I should have results by the end of the month, so, we wait......

No comments:

Post a Comment